I used to tell myself I'd already cut everything.
I'd gone through the big stuff: the gym I wasn't using, the expensive phone plan. I thought I was down to bone. Then I actually sat with two months of bank statements and a highlighter, and I found just over £70 a month in things I hadn't consciously chosen to keep paying for. Not one dramatic discovery. A string of small ones that each looked reasonable alone and looked different together.
If you're living paycheck to paycheck and trying to find things to cut, this is the list I'd hand you. Not the obvious ones you've already thought of. The ones that hide in plain sight, look like normal spending, and add up faster than you'd think.

1. Subscriptions you haven't actively thought about in the last 90 days
Not subscriptions you don't use. Subscriptions you haven't thought about. That's a different test.
Go through your last two months of statements and write down every recurring charge. Then ask: when did I last consciously decide to keep this? If the answer is "I haven't," that's the cut. A subscription you're not thinking about is a subscription you're not using in any meaningful way.
The average household carries between $40 and $80 in this category without realising it. I've never done this exercise for myself or heard of anyone doing it without finding something. The $9.99 app that converted from a free trial six months ago. The digital magazine you opened twice. The cloud storage tier you could get free on a smaller plan.
Cancel the automatic renewals first. You can always restart something you miss. You won't miss most of them.
2. Brand loyalty on food you buy every week
This one costs more than people think because it's so consistent.
If you buy the branded version of pasta, rice, tinned tomatoes, eggs, oil, flour, or cereal every single week, you're paying a premium that compounds into real money over a year. Most store brand versions of these products are made in the same facilities as the branded ones. The difference is the label and the marketing budget built into the price.
I resisted this for longer than I should have. The branded cereal felt like a small kindness to myself during a tight period. When I finally switched, I didn't notice a difference in the food. I noticed a difference of about £22 a month.
Start with one category. See if you notice. If you don't, switch another.
3. The convenience premium you're paying at the wrong shop
Picking up a few things at the corner shop on the way home is not the same price as picking up the same things at a discount supermarket. It can be double.
This isn't about planning every meal perfectly or never grabbing something on the way. It's about noticing the pattern. If you're doing two or three convenience shop runs a week because the big shop didn't quite cover everything, that pattern might be costing you £30 to £50 a month more than a slightly larger main shop would.
The fix isn't discipline. It's one specific change: write the list before you shop and stick to it. Not to be rigid but because a list removes the in the moment decisions that convenience shops are designed to exploit.
4. One of your streaming services
If you have more than one, you can almost certainly lose one and not notice within two weeks.
I know this because I dropped a second streaming service and genuinely could not tell you which one it was without checking. I was paying for it every month, watching things on the other one, and not registering the charge. That's $12 a month, $144 a year, for something I never thought about until I looked at the statement.
Pick whichever one you've opened least in the past month. Cancel it. Give yourself six weeks. If you genuinely miss something specific on it, reconsider. Statistically you probably won't.
5. Bank fees you assumed were unavoidable
Monthly account fees, overdraft charges, out of network ATM fees. These often feel like a fixed cost of having a bank account, and they're usually not.
A lot of banks, particularly online ones, offer free accounts with no monthly fee and no overdraft penalty if the balance dips. In the UK, accounts like this exist at multiple high street banks and most challenger banks. In the US, credit unions and online banks often charge nothing for basic checking with no minimum balance requirement.
If you're paying £5 to £10 a month in account fees or regularly hitting overdraft charges, that's worth one hour of comparing alternatives. It's not exciting. It's also not complicated. And it's money that stops leaving the moment you switch.
6. Extended warranties on small items
The extended warranty on a £40 toaster. The protection plan on a kitchen appliance. The cover option on a phone accessory. These are some of the highest margin products retailers sell, which tells you most of what you need to know about whether they're worth buying.
For items under roughly £150, the maths on an extended warranty almost never works in your favour. Most items either fail quickly, in which case the manufacturer warranty covers it, or they last years without a problem. The middle scenario, where it fails just outside the manufacturer warranty and inside the extended one, is the least common outcome. Retailers know this. That's why they offer it.
Say no by default. Save the mental energy. The item will probably be fine.
7. Food delivery as a regular weekly habit
This is not about cutting food delivery forever. It's about the difference between an occasional treat and a weekly pattern.
A single food delivery order often costs two to three times what the same meal would cost to make at home, once you add delivery fees, service charges, and the tip that the interface nudges you toward. That's fine once in a while. It's a significant budget drain when it happens three times a week because cooking felt like too much.
The honest version of this fix is not willpower. It's making cooking easier so that the delivery decision doesn't happen by default. One batch of something on a Sunday means Tuesday at 7pm has a real alternative to the app. The batch doesn't have to be impressive. It just has to exist.
My Minimal Monthly Expenses Tracker has a food and dining category that separates grocery spending from eating out and delivery. A lot of people who fill it in for the first time are surprised by the delivery line total. Seeing the monthly number, rather than individual orders that felt small, is what usually makes the habit easier to interrupt.
8. Bottled water as a weekly habit
Not bottled water occasionally. Bottled water as the default way you drink water.
If you're buying a multipack of bottled water every week, you're paying somewhere between £3 and £8 a week for something that comes out of most taps for almost nothing. Over a year that's £150 to £400 in some households.
A filtered water bottle or a basic tap filter costs around £15 to £25 and pays for itself within a month. This isn't a lecture about sustainability. It's just one of the most consistent small costs hiding in the weekly shop that most people haven't done the annual maths on.
9. Paying in instalments when you don't have to
Buy now, pay later services and instalment options feel like flexibility. They cost more, and they also obscure how much you're actually spending in a month.
When five different things are each split into four small payments, the individual amounts look manageable but the combined monthly total is higher than you registered when you made the decisions. This is the design. The smaller the number looks in the moment, the less friction there is to buying.
If you can pay for something in full without breaking the budget, pay in full. If you can't pay for it in full, that's usually a signal that it's not in the budget right now. The instalment option doesn't change that. It spreads it out and adds the behavioural cost of tracking four separate obligations instead of one.
When you're ready to see all your monthly spending categories at once, including everything coming out in instalments, my Simple Monthly Budget Planner Pro puts the full picture on one screen. You stop losing track of small recurring amounts because they're all visible together.
10. The premium version of something free
Not every premium upgrade is worth it. And on a tight budget, the ones that aren't are worth identifying specifically.
Cloud storage tiers where the free version covers your actual usage. App upgrades that unlock features you never used on the free version. The premium subscription to a recipe site when you've used three recipes from it in the past year. These feel like small investments in yourself. Sometimes they are. Often they're just the path of least resistance when a free trial ended.
The test is whether you'd actively choose to repurchase it if the subscription stopped automatically. If the honest answer is probably not, that's your answer.
Frequently asked questions
What expenses should I cut first when I'm living paycheck to paycheck?
Start with anything that's leaving automatically without a recent conscious decision. Subscriptions, recurring memberships, and automatically renewing charges are the fastest place to find money because cutting them costs no lifestyle change, just attention. After that, look at weekly patterns rather than individual purchases: where is the same type of spend appearing repeatedly? A pattern costs more than a single decision. Groceries, convenience shops, and food delivery usually hold the most recoverable money once the pattern is made visible.
How much can I realistically save by cutting expenses on a low income?
Most people who do a proper audit of recurring charges and convenience spending find between £40 and £120 a month without touching anything they'd genuinely miss. That's not a dramatic life overhaul. That's the streaming service they weren't watching, the subscriptions they'd forgotten about, and the weekly convenience shop getting replaced with a slightly bigger main shop. On a tight income, £60 a month recovered is the beginning of an emergency fund. It's not nothing.
How do I cut spending without feeling like I'm depriving myself?
Cut things you don't notice, before you cut things you value. Forgotten subscriptions, bank fees, brand premiums on identical products, and extended warranties on cheap items cost money without adding anything to your day. Cutting those first means you've reduced spending without reducing anything you actually care about. Once those are gone, you have a clearer picture of what's left and which of those things genuinely matters to you versus which ones are habit or inertia.
The £70 a month was already there
I didn't earn more to find it. I didn't change how I lived in any way I'd notice. I just looked properly at what was leaving automatically, compared it against what I was actually using, and stopped paying for the things I wasn't.
That's the whole exercise. Not dramatic. Not a discipline test. Just a closer look than most of us have taken recently.
Pick two things from this list. Check if they apply to your statements this month. Cut the ones that do.
When you're ready to track every spending category in one place and see where the money's actually going each month, my Simple Monthly Budget Planner Pro does exactly that.
Not ready for the full system yet? My free Minimalist Budget Planner is the one page starting point. Free, ten minutes, and honest about what you're working with.
Follow on Instagram and Pinterest for weekly money tips that actually fit a real budget.
Which one from this list are you going to check first? Drop it in the comments.
Comments
Post a Comment