My sister asked me in January what I actually wanted for the year, one of those vague New Year questions people ask without expecting a real answer, and I said five thousand dollars in savings by summer before I'd fully thought it through.
I made $40,000 a year at the time, which after taxes came out to somewhere around $2,700 a month landing in my account, give or take depending on the paycheck. Five thousand dollars in six months meant averaging close to $833 a month, which was not a small ask against a take home pay that barely covered my fixed costs with much room left over. This is what actually closing that gap looked like, the real budget, the specific things that made up the difference, and the one month it almost fell apart entirely.
The real math before anything else
Rent was $950. Utilities ran about $140. My car payment was $265, insurance $120, phone $55. That's $1,530 in fixed costs before anything else touched the paycheck.
Groceries, once I checked two months of actual receipts instead of guessing, averaged $310. Gas and transport came to another $90. Total essential spending: $1,930, leaving $770 out of $2,700 before a single dollar went toward the $833 monthly target.
The gap between $770 and $833 doesn't sound dramatic written out, but it meant the budget alone, even a tight one, wasn't quite enough. Something extra had to close that remaining distance every single month for six months straight, and finding it consistently turned out to matter more than any one dramatic change.
The three things that closed the gap
Decluttering and reselling accounted for the first real chunk. Over the first six weeks, I sold an old bike I hadn't ridden in two years, a stand mixer I'd bought during a baking phase that didn't last, and a stack of textbooks from a certification I never finished, altogether bringing in $430. Not a recurring amount, but it front loaded the savings early enough that later months had less catching up to do.
Weekend grocery delivery shopping through Instacart became the second piece, picking up shifts on Saturday mornings and occasional weeknights, bringing in somewhere between $140 and $190 a week depending on how much time I actually put in. This wasn't glamorous or something I wanted to keep doing indefinitely, but treated as a defined six month push rather than a permanent second job, it was sustainable in a way an open ended commitment wouldn't have been.
The third piece was smaller but consistent: switching almost entirely to home cooked meals and cutting my dining out spending, which had been running around $95 a month, down to about $20, freeing up roughly $75 a month I redirected straight to the goal.
My free Minimalist Budget Planner is where I mapped all of this out at the start, the real income, the real fixed costs, and the specific extra income streams tracked as their own line so the aggressive target felt like an actual plan instead of an abstract hope.
The month a family obligation almost derailed everything
Month four, my mother needed help covering a $310 medical copay after an appointment her insurance didn't fully cover, and there wasn't really a version of that conversation where I said no.
I paid it directly from that month's savings contribution rather than pulling from what I'd already set aside, which meant month four added almost nothing to the total instead of the roughly $833 every other month had been producing. I remember feeling a specific kind of quiet frustration afterward, not at my mother, but at the timing, the sense that the plan had been going well and now had a real dent in it with two months left to make up ground.
I didn't try to make up the full $310 in month five. I let the shortfall exist, kept the Instacart shifts running at the same pace, and accepted that the six month total might land closer to $4,700 than the full $5,000 if nothing else changed. Being honest about that possibility mattered more than pretending the setback hadn't happened.
What the six months actually produced
By the end of month six, the total came to $5,180, slightly over the original goal, mostly because month six included a slightly larger Instacart week than usual and the decluttering money from early on had given the whole plan a head start it needed once month four cut into the pace.
The breakdown across six months wasn't even. Some months landed close to $900. Month four barely cleared $500. The average worked out to the target, but the actual path there was uneven in exactly the way a real six month stretch tends to be, not the smooth, identical monthly progress a lot of savings challenge content implies is normal.
Tracking an aggressive goal without losing the thread
My Simple Monthly Budget Planner Pro tracked the running total against the six month target every single month, which mattered most in month four, when seeing the actual number next to the original goal made the shortfall feel like a specific, manageable gap rather than a sign the whole plan had failed.
A similar income, a similar goal, a different set of levers
A dental office receptionist earning close to $38,500 a year took on a similar six month challenge, using weekend pet sitting through a local network instead of grocery delivery shifts, combined with selling a collection of unused kitchen appliances early on for $290. Her fixed costs were slightly lower than mine due to a roommate splitting rent, which gave her a bit more monthly room to work with from the start.
She hit $4,850 by month six, just under her own $5,000 target, after a slower month three when pet sitting requests dropped off unexpectedly during a slow seasonal stretch. She told me she'd rather report the honest $4,850 than round up to make the story sound cleaner, which is the same instinct I'd encourage anyone running a similar challenge to keep.
Frequently asked questions
Is it realistic to save $5,000 in 6 months on a $40,000 salary?
It's aggressive but achievable for many people, though it typically requires more than adjusting the existing budget alone. On take home pay in the range of $2,700 a month, the gap between essential spending and the monthly savings target usually needs to be closed through some combination of temporary extra income, like weekend gig work or reselling unused items, and a defined, time limited reduction in discretionary spending. Budget cuts alone rarely close a gap this size within six months specifically; the combination of extra income and reduced spending is usually what makes the timeline work.
What if an unexpected expense disrupts a 6 month savings challenge partway through?
Let the shortfall exist for that month rather than trying to force the original pace back immediately. An unexpected cost partway through an aggressive savings goal is common, and it typically means the final total lands somewhat below the original target rather than derailing the effort completely. Treating a lower final number as still meaningful progress, rather than a failure, is usually what determines whether someone finishes the six months at all.
Should I use temporary side income for a savings goal or save it separately from my regular budget?
For a defined, short term savings goal, directing temporary extra income entirely toward that specific goal generally makes sense, since mixing it into general spending tends to dilute the progress without you noticing where it went. Keeping the extra income tracked as its own line, separate from your regular paycheck and regular budget categories, makes it easier to see clearly how much of the total came from the temporary push versus the existing budget.
Five thousand, more or less
My sister asked about that goal again in the summer, mostly out of curiosity about whether I'd actually followed through on something I'd said almost offhand in January. The honest answer was $5,180, with one month in the middle that barely moved the number at all.
The plan worked not because every month went perfectly, but because the shortfall in month four got absorbed rather than treated as a reason to quit, and the extra income kept showing up in the months that did go well enough to make up the difference.
When you're ready to track an aggressive savings goal against your real monthly numbers, my Simple Monthly Budget Planner Pro shows the running total next to the target every month.
Not there yet? Start with my free Minimalist Budget Planner to map out your own real numbers and see what a similar goal would actually require on your income.
Follow on Instagram and Pinterest for weekly money tips for real incomes.
Would you take on a six month aggressive savings goal like this? Tell me what income you're working with, and I'll help you figure out whether the target is realistic or needs adjusting.

Comments
Post a Comment