I used to leave the grocery store feeling vaguely ashamed.
Not because of what I bought. Because of what I put back. The good cereal my kid actually liked. The fruit that wasn't on sale. The second pack of chicken that would have made the week easier. I'd stand there doing the math in my head until the total felt survivable, then I'd push the cart to the checkout and hope I hadn't miscounted.
That was my single mom grocery budget for a long time. Reactive, stressful, and still somehow over $300 most months.
Getting to $200 a month didn't happen because I found some secret. It happened because I stopped improvising. I made a plan before I walked into the store, I stopped buying things that felt like savings but weren't, and I got honest about what my family actually eats versus what I was buying out of habit or guilt. This post is that plan, laid out exactly.

Why the Grocery Bill Is Always Higher Than It Should Be
The grocery budget is the one area where most single moms feel like they should be able to cut more than they can. It's not a fixed bill. It moves. Which means every month there's this nagging sense that if you were just more careful, more disciplined, a better planner, it would be lower.
Here's the thing I had to accept first: grocery spending has a floor, and that floor is higher than most budgeting advice acknowledges. A family of two eating real food in 2024 in most US or UK cities is not eating well on $100 a month. The floor for one adult and one child eating nutritious meals is somewhere around $175 to $220 depending on where you live, what you cook, and whether you have access to a discount store.
$200 is achievable. For a lot of people it takes a few months to get there. If you're at $320 right now, the goal this month might be $270. That's still a real win.
The overspend almost never comes from big purchases. It comes from four things: unplanned midweek runs, buying ingredients for meals you don't end up cooking, buying in bulk when you don't have the storage or the appetite to use it, and buying branded products out of habit when the store brand version is identical. Those four things, over a month, are the difference between $200 and $320 for most households.
The Exact System That Gets Me to $200
There's no magic here. Just a process that I do every single week before I open the grocery app or walk through the door.
The week starts with what's already in the kitchen. Not a full pantry audit every time, just a quick look at what protein is in the freezer, what vegetables are close to turning, what staples are running low. Whatever's there shapes the first two or three meals of the week. This alone cut about $40 a month from my bill because I stopped buying things I already had.
Then I plan five or six dinners. Not elaborate meals. Meals my kid will actually eat that use overlapping ingredients. If I'm buying a bag of spinach, it goes into two different meals. If I'm buying a tin of chickpeas, it appears twice that week in different forms. Buying an ingredient for one single use is one of the most expensive ways to shop.
From those meals I write a list, and that list is the only thing I buy. Not a loose guideline. A list. If it's not on the list and it's not a genuine low stock staple (oil, eggs, pasta), it waits until next week. This sounds rigid. It genuinely saves $25 to $40 per shop because the impulse purchases, the "this might be useful," the "this is on sale so I should get it" purchases, just don't happen.
I shop at Aldi for most things. In the US and UK both, Aldi's own brand quality is close enough to name brands on almost everything I buy regularly: eggs, pasta, tinned tomatoes, rice, frozen vegetables, cheese. I used to feel like shopping at Aldi was doing something wrong. It isn't. It's just knowing where the same food costs less.
For meat, I buy whatever's on clearance markdown and freeze it the same day. A pack of chicken thighs marked down by 40% because it's the sell by date costs the same as the cheaper cuts on a normal day, and in the freezer it's identical. In the US, the yellow clearance sticker. In the UK, the orange reduced sticker. I look for these first before anything else in the meat aisle.
The Meals That Make $200 Work
A $200 grocery budget doesn't work if the meals are complicated, expensive, or things your kid refuses to eat. The meals that carry this budget are simple, filling, and use cheap protein.
The core proteins are eggs, tinned fish, chicken thighs, mince (ground beef), lentils, and beans. Not because I'm forcing frugality onto the plate. Because these are genuinely the proteins that give the most nutritional value per pound or kilogram spent. Chicken thighs over breasts. Tinned sardines or tuna over fresh fish. Dried lentils over most other protein sources, full stop.
A batch of lentil soup costs me around $1.80 to make and feeds two people twice. A tray of roasted chicken thighs with root vegetables is around $5 for a family of two with leftovers. A basic pasta with tinned tomatoes, garlic, and cheese is under $2 total. None of this is exciting food. It is good food, and the week I stopped feeling guilty about cooking it is the week the grocery bill actually started behaving.
I batch cook on Sundays when I can. Even just making a big pot of rice, roasting a tray of vegetables, and cooking a protein in advance means that Tuesday at 6pm, when I'm tired and my kid is hungry, I'm not ordering delivery or reaching for expensive convenience food. The Tuesday spend is what kills grocery budgets more than any other single day.
The Costs That Look Like Savings but Aren't
This took me longer to learn than anything else.
Buying in bulk is not always cheaper. If you buy a 5kg bag of rice and use it, yes, cheaper. If you buy a 5kg bag of rice and it goes stale in the back of the cupboard because your family just doesn't eat that much rice, you paid more per meal than you would have buying a smaller bag. I've thrown away more "bulk buy savings" than I care to admit.
The same goes for meal kits, fancy premade sauces, "healthy" snack packs, and anything marketed specifically as convenient. These products charge a premium for the packaging and the preparation. The actual food inside costs a fraction of what you pay. A jar of pasta sauce is £1.50. Tinned tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil to make the same amount yourself is about 40p. I know which one feels easier at 7pm. I also know which one is eating my grocery budget.
The hardest one to shake was name brands. There are maybe four or five products where the branded version genuinely is better (I have one strong opinion about own brand versus branded ketchup that my kid shares loudly). But most of the time, the store brand is made in the same factory, packaged differently, and sold for 30 to 50 percent less. The switch from Kellogg's to store brand cereal alone saved me around $14 a month.
Tracking What You Actually Spend
Meal planning and list making are the behaviour changes. But you also need to know whether they're working.
If you don't track your grocery spend as a separate category, it blurs into general spending and you lose visibility on whether the month went well or badly. I track mine every week, not at the end of the month. A weekly check takes two minutes and catches overruns before they compound.
If you're looking for somewhere to track this properly alongside your other spending categories, my free Minimal Monthly Expenses Tracker has a groceries category built in alongside all the other household expenses. Free to download, no formulas to set up. It's how I first realised my "about $250" grocery spend was actually $318 most months. The number surprised me. Tracking it fixed it.
The Mindset Shift That Actually Moved the Number
For a long time I thought cheap meals meant bad meals, and I made up for it by buying small treats that I thought would compensate. A nice sauce. The good biscuits. A slightly more expensive yoghurt because my kid deserved it.
What I was actually doing was making peace with a budget I felt guilty about by spending my way out of the guilt. And it cost about $40 to $60 a month in extra items that didn't really change how we ate.
The shift was deciding that cooking simple, inexpensive food well is a skill, not a failure. Lentil soup from scratch tastes better than most tinned soups. Roasted chicken thighs are genuinely better than chicken breasts for most things I cook. Eggs are one of the most complete foods you can eat and cost almost nothing per serving. None of this is deprivation. It's just cooking with intention instead of spending with guilt.
YNAB helped me treat groceries as a real category with a real ceiling. When the app shows me I have $45 left in the grocery budget for the week, I shop to $45. Not approximately $45. Exactly. Constraints make decisions easier, not harder.
When you want to see your grocery budget alongside everything else your money is doing each month, my Simple Monthly Budget Planner Pro tracks all spending categories in one place with visual charts. Seeing groceries as a percentage of total spending, month over month, is what finally made it feel like a controllable variable instead of a mystery.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is $200 a month realistic for a single mom and one child?
For most US and UK households outside high cost city centres, yes. It requires meal planning, a list you actually stick to, and shopping primarily at discount stores like Aldi or Lidl. It is harder if you live far from a discount store, if your child has dietary restrictions that limit cheap protein options, or if you're in a high cost of living area. If $200 feels too far from where you are right now, aim to cut your current spend by $30 to $50 first. A realistic target you hit is more useful than an ideal one you miss every month.
What are the cheapest filling meals for a single mom on a tight food budget?
The meals that give the best value for money consistently are: lentil or bean soups, egg based meals (frittata, shakshuka, scrambled eggs with toast), pasta with tinned tomatoes and cheese, rice and beans, roasted root vegetables with a cheap protein, and any kind of stew using a cheaper cut of meat cooked low and slow. These are not boring foods. They are filling, nutritious, and genuinely cheap. A pot of bean and vegetable stew costs under $3 and feeds two people twice.
How do I stop going over my grocery budget every month?
Three things help more than anything else. First, never shop without a list built from a weekly meal plan. Second, do one shop per week, not multiple smaller shops (each extra trip adds $15 to $30 on average). Third, track what you actually spend as a separate category so you see the pattern over multiple months, not just feel bad about it in the moment. The overspend almost always comes from the unplanned midweek shop, the impulse items, and the branded products on habit. A list removes the first and third. One shop per week removes the second.
It Took a Few Months, Not a Week
The first month I tried to seriously manage my single mom grocery budget, I came in at $247. Not $200. But $247 was better than $318, and the month after that was $221, and by month four I was reliably at or under $200.
The embarrassment at the checkout, putting things back, feeling like I was doing something wrong by choosing the cheaper option. That's gone now. Not because the budget got easier, but because I stopped treating frugal choices like evidence of failure.
When you're ready to track your grocery budget alongside everything else in one clean system, grab my Simple Monthly Budget Planner Pro and see the full picture.
Not ready to go that far yet? My free Minimal Monthly budget Tracker is a simple, free starting point. Download it, track one month honestly, and see what the real number is.
Follow on Instagram and Pinterest for weekly meal ideas and grocery tips built around a tight single mom budget.
And tell me: what's the one grocery purchase you can never seem to cut even though you know you probably should? Drop it in the comments. Mine was the fancy yoghurt. My kid was apparently fine with the store brand the whole time.
Comments
Post a Comment